Monday, November 22, 2010

Imagine the power of compounding

Yesterday I attended a basic fundamental workshop on stocks investing. And amusingly, some of the audience experienced investors and traders. I supposed they wanted to feel humble to attend an event for beginners lol!

The speaker, Pauline Yong is the author of this book, I Love Stock. A simple lady around her 30s yet, packed with knowledge and experiences on stock investing. Dun be surprised if you cannot  find this book too far away from Malaysia or Singapore. Its just a simple local book.


The book provides the very basic and fundamental aspects on how to invest in stocks. This is very much linked to a beginner, so if you wanted to invest in stocks but you're still new, I guess it match your criteria?

During the workshop, I wasn't surprise to realize that I am the youngest of all. I could see from their faces, either they are married couples, retirees or family man. None of them looked as if they're in their 20s.


And that's why people say, start young is always better.
Warren Buffett (3rd richest man in the world as of 2010) started investing at the age of 11.


I decided to design my own FAQ....

Statement #1: Why start young? I can always start when I have sufficient/more money, or when I am ready.
Because, money will never be enough and you will never be ready, if you don't act! Learn how to start investing and equipped with the tools needed, you can start.  But never start investing blindly, that's stupid!
Age is not a matter, there is no problem to start with small amount if  you don't have a lot of money.

Statement #2: Why can't  I start later? When I grow older its wiser to start as I'll be more experienced.
Power of compounding. The younger you start the earlier you can become rich.


Source: http://www.commbank.com.au

Based on the chart, Flo saved $2000 per year from 21-40, at the age of 65 he earned $200,000++
And Joe saved $2000 per year from 31-65, at the age of 65, he earned only $150,000++

See the difference? Start young makes a different!

No comments: